Subject: [Leica] A lot of history in the past 24 hours
From: David Degner <leicanews@myrealbox.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:33:45 -0400

In the past day I have ran into 3 photojournalists that are new to me.
If you know anything more about them I would like to know or I sugest
you look up some of their stuff.

On PBS last night there was an hour long documentary on Hansel Meith.
She came to America from Germany and showed the side of the Great
Depression that [agency that hired Dorthea Lang and other photographers]
didn't including strikes and violent police actions.  She worked for
life though she didn't agree with their view and when they censored work
she left.  In the idealistic photographer catagory she is up there with
Nacthwey in my book now.

I was looking through a used book store and ran across  "They Are Human
Too..." a 200 page photo book by Per-Olow Anderson from 1957.  It is
almost a portorait book of the Palestine Arab Refugees.  It isn't very
deep in thought but it highlights how our view of whos land it is has
changed with my generation.  To keep it on topic he shot with Hasseblads
and a Leica M3.

Then on C-span there was an interview with 3 former white house
photographers.  David Hurn and two others.  I have heard of David Hurn
but this gave me a slightly different view of him.  It will hopefully
play again because it was entertaining and informative.  It fills in
some cracks on how different presidents control their image.

David Degner

Whats keeping you from making your name immortal?

Message from tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net> (Re: [Leica] The new digital reality -)