Subject: RE: [Leica] Use film, or block the panel!
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 20:14:22 -0400

> > > well, action and sports is one thing... but the LCD panel on my little
> > > Nikon 5000 is a wonderful thing and gets you experimenting with
> > > compositions you would never have seen through a viewfinder.
> >
> > Johnny...if it's not visible in the viewfinder, how is it visible on the
> > LCD?
> >
> > Austin
>
> He didn't say it wasn't visible, rather you would never have seen the
> composition. It's like a mini ground glass (only right way up). The screen
> gives you a different image than the viewfinder - two dimensional rather
> than three. And psychologically different than the "tunnel"
> vision on an SLR
> (in fact rangefinders also have the tunnel vision effect).

Oh, and another issue...that makes this "unbelievable" for me, is Digital
SLRs don't show the scene that is in the viewfinder in the LCD, they only
show the last shot, or some other shot...but not the realtime scene.  Only
cameras that use Interline sensors, and therefore have separate viewfinder
optics can show the scene in real time.

This means the camera he is mentioning uses an interline sensor, and the
viewfinder is in fact NOT the same as the LCD display.  I don't know how
good the display is in this camera, but I know the optical displays on the
interline sensor cameras I have is weak at best.

Austin