Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 24: a ride to Koblenz
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:31:28 +0200

On June 9th and 10th I drove my motorcycle from Zurich to the
Netherlands and left it with a friend there. This is my first possession
to move from Switzerland, the rest is to follow in a couple of weeks.
Riding 850 km in one day is not my idea of fun, so I split the trip over
two days, spending the night in Koblenz, one of my favourite cities in
Germany. As always with a motorcycle ride, getting there was half the
fun. The main picture is a view along the road north of Karlsruhe in
late afternoon:

http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_24.jpg

During the earlier part of my ride I rode on small roads through the
Black Forest, and was rewarded with views like this one, in the small
town of Lossburg:

http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_24alt1.jpg

I got to Koblenz, spent the night in a cheap hotel, and went for an
early morning walk on Monday before heading on to the Netherlands.
Koblenz is one of Germany's oldest cities, founded by the Romans 2000
years ago at the point where the Mosel and Rhine rivers meet. That very
spot is called Deutsches Eck (German Corner) and today it is a nice
park, with the corner itself decorated with flags of all the German
Länder (federal states); there is only one exception, added after
September 11th:

http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_24alt2.jpg
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_24alt3.jpg

One one of the city squares is a column depicting the history of
Koblenz, starting with Roman times:

http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_24alt4.jpg

and culminating in the destruction and rebirth in the 20th century:

http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_24alt5.jpg

But supposedly the real symbol of Koblenz is a mischevious little boy
whose statue stands near the city hall. You just stand there looking at
it, until...

http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_24alt6.jpg
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_24alt7.jpg

I almost got caught unaware and barely avoided getting myself and my
Leica an extra shower.

All pictures with Leica CL, 40mm Minolta Rokkor (except alt5 which was
taken with the 90mm Minolta Rokkor), on Ektachrome 100G.

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/indexpaw2003.htm
and comments are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland