Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 with Drive is ripping the sprocket holes! ???
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:55:40 +1000

Hi Ted.  It's only been happening since I started using Reala for the
soccer work I've been doing for the last several weeks.  I've thought
it might be the Reala, which is a stiff sort of film (must be that
fourth layer ;-) ), but geez, I'd be surprised if that was the extent
of it.  Come to think of it, I did run tests with some Agfa 100 and
with a roll of Kodak Max.  While I didn't get broken holes in the
middle of the film with these, they did break once the last frame had
been reached.

There must be a mechanism in the drive to stop it from ripping the
holes at the end of the film.  If there wasn't, it'd rip them every
time, with multiple exposures on the last frame being the norm.  I
think my drive is just out of kilter, for some reason.  It's been
useful otherwise - I'm still using it even though it's trouble prone,
but not confidently.

Ted, or others, have you used the Pro Service offered by Leica Germany?
   Our local service centre can't repair R8/9 bodies - don't have the
tools and computers for it, yet.

Regards,  Rick.