Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB Did It All First
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:24:47 -0700

At 02:35 PM 6/23/03 -0700, Seth Rosner wrote:
>It seems to me that there are essentially two kinds of photography. One I
>may call contemplative. This is large and medium format and, to some extent,
>SLR photography (don't jump on this, Doug; I recognize that wildlife and
>sports photography is long lens SLR work). The second I may call action. The
>35mm RF is the paradigm tool for this work. Of course many if not most of us
>do both.
<snip>
>This is perhaps a long-winded way of describing the decisive moment. HCB's
>work exhibits an extraordinary eye for the image as it is creating itself
>(i.e. the action creating the image-opportunity) and extraordinary eye-hand
>coordination in capturing that action with his right index finger.

Well put, Seth.  And I might add that some of our LUG disagreements are the
result of judging contemplative photographs by decisive moment standards,
or more likely vice versa.

I admire HCB immensely.  Viewing his work and Eisie's is what got me
interested in black and white photography in the first place.  So when
Slobodan made his remarks, my first reaction was:  How can he possibly
think that way?

But Slobodan knows his stuff. So unless he was just pulling our collective
chain on a dull afternoon, he must have his reasons.  And I've heard this
reaction to HCB a few times before.

Here's what I think.  HCB's way of looking at the world is very
French.  It's also very much an early 20th-Century anti-Romantic point of
view.  He photographed people the way others might photograph carefully
composed landscapes, except he did it with, as Seth might put it, a very
quick trigger finger.  As B.D. mentioned, HCB himself said that it was all
about composition.  You often don't really know how he feels about his
subjects or the situations they are in.

What I'm getting at is that HCB is not like the mythic "concerned
photographer" we all supposedly admire, who uses his Leica to capture the
pathos and inhumanity of existence.  He photographs something that Salgado
might photograph, but the picture we get it isn't some statement of grand
Wagnerian angst.  Instead, it's a keyboard miniature, deceptively simple,
exquisitely arranged, every note "tres juste."

The human statement is bound up in the artifice.  It's there, but you have
to look for it. You are freer to react than you are with Nachtway or
Salgado or Gene Smith.  HCB doesn't say, "Isn't this wonderful?" or "Isn't
this horrible?"  He says, "Isn't this fascinating, and see how I caught it
when everything was arranged just-so?"

I don't mean to imply that I know how HCB thought or felt about his
subjects.  I'm saying that this is what comes through to me.  Those who
like their human interest photos served with more raw emotion will be left
cold.  Those who like to criticize fast-paced photos taken with old lenses
and slower films will have ample to carp about.  Chacun a son gout.

Thanks to Slobodan for starting this, and to the rest of you for making
some very interesting reading.  It motiviated me to go to my local Barnes
and Noble and buy the HCB retrospective book.  I'm glad I did!

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from Slobodan Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] HCB Did It All First)