Subject: [Leica] Digital R and flash performance
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:48:10 +1000

Uh oh.  The 1.37 focal length extention factor is going to mean backing
off from subjects.  For example, I'll have to take team photos from
further back, when using my trusty 50 Summicron R.  Now I'm already
near the limit of flash performance with my Metz 50 on occasions (9
meters back, shooting an 18 strong team of 6'+ tall 17 year olds, their
coach, manager, trainer and relationship counsellor).  And this will
certainly be a problem when I'm just using the SF20.  Sure I could open
up the lens a stop, but I'd rather be turning it the other way when
they're three layers deep.  Nor do I want to trade off shutter speed -
stand still will ya!  Not to mention me wobbling.

Is there any 'silver lining' I'm not aware of, with respect to high end
digital sensors and flash performance?  They can't re-write the rules
of physics can they?

The other thing - I run two R8s for these volume team photo sessions.
One with the 50 for team shots, the other with a 100 APO Macro Elmarit
for portraits (or even a 280, if the background is messy/busy).  It's
like a production line with two workstations.  So this would mean two
digi-backs, at that price?  Aye-aye-aye.

just thinkin' out loud ...

Rick.