Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a longshot .. .. yet
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:11:25 -0400

Tina,

If I were a professional photographer, like you, I would have gone digital long
ago. I always wanted a really nice Hasselblad. ( I have several really nice
Leicas.) I found a used, mint 203 FE at a price it was really hard to refuse. I
got it because someone needed funds to buy digital equipment. All this talk
about the victory of digital, and there is no doubt in my mind that it is
changing photography in some very fundamental ways, makes me feel insecure, and
has me wondering if I did the right thing.

My day job is as a computer professional. I have a 2 megapixel digital camera.
I put Photoshop Elements on my computer. It was an interesting experience. I am
not all that creative, but I am decent technically. Mostly what I like to do
these days is nice looking 16x20's. I have about thirty spare minutes a day. I
play the cello, and these almost always have to be dedicated to practice. I
have no time to do wet dark room work, and that also means that I have no time
to learn dry dark room work. One of my kids is into digital photography. For me
to learn, really learn digital photography, particularly the computer part if
it, as well as you or he knows it is going to take me two or three years of
practice. Someday I will, but that may have to be a retirement project.

Bareny