Subject: RE: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: Clif Wright <skidoophoto@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Austin Franklin <darkroom@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > ...I hate to say this because it seems to be
> terrible what happened to
> > George, but anybody dumb enough to take a picture
> of kids that they do not
> > know, is out of touch with our world today.
>
> Steve,
>
> That's horrible.  I take pictures of children all
> the time.  I am a father
> of young children, and I always carry a camera, and
> I'm always snapping
> pictures of kids...mine and others.  If they are in
> public, I have every
> right in the world to do so, and I will.  It's NOT
> dumb.  The belief that it
> is dumb is what is DUMB.
>
> Austin

I must emphatically second this post! Picture the
original Family of Man (or FOM2 for that matter)
without candid photos of children or the work of
Bresson and thousands of other photographers. Just
because the security guards of the world would take
away our freedoms in a heartbeat does not mean we
should roll over and go away or convince ourselves
that we were "dumb enough" to practice our art.
Clif Wright

=====
http://www.pbase.com/clifwright