Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB didn't crop, mostly...
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:43:58 -0700

on 07/03/03 7:53 PM, Ted Grant at tedgrant@shaw.ca wrote:

> Well when he's been around as long as he has and thousands of words written
> about him, pictures published adnausem, he can say whatever it is he wants
> and the "HCB followers" will believe whatever is written or supposedly
> repeated that he said.

Ted,

No kidding! Lots of things are said about him that simply aren't true, or
maybe he just forgot himself as well?

Example: The NPR web site said he put his camera down in 1975. I didn't
really read the whole piece carefully, but I didn't see any other
information on my first perusal that would contradict that.

That is simply nonsense. I offer as evidence:

1:) In February 1985, at the Pictures of the Year judging, I was talking
with Magnum photographer Bruno Barbey (and believe it or not teaching him
how to use a Vivitar 283 for bounce flash - he had no idea how to do it),
and the conversation strayed to HCB. I said, "I'm sorry he gave up
photography so long ago." He looked surprised and said, "He hasn't given up
photography. At this very moment he is in India working on a book."

2:) My girlfriend gave me a book for Christmas '88 "Henri Carteri-Bresson
and India." Lo and behold, there was a photo in the book dated 1985.

So don't believe everything you hear about him.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning. They're just stupid drawings that
give you a cheap laugh." - Homer Simpson