Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:42:30 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> on 07/12/03 8:29 AM, Phong at phong@doan-ltd.com wrote:
>
> > This is so funny, Mark Rabiner being preached the
> > virtue of Leica glass over Nikon/Canon's.
>
> Good point. Mark and I had lunch one time. I should remember who I'm talking
> to! :-P
>
> --
> Eric
> Carlsbad, CA

That was a nice lunch Eric!
I think you guys should go over my posts (I just did) as I'm sure as
hell not preaching Nikon over Leica.
Not in one single nuance of anything I've said although I'll say in this
post there just might be some advantages to AF.
And I'm not even preaching Nikon over Canon. I'm just saying i think
making that switch is not worth it.

Going digital I'm forced to spunk up my Nikon system. Historically
Nikons and Leicas have gone hand in hand th e whole while

Felix, for example has 9 Nikon bodys from day one but some of the
advantages of canon can not be denied so he's go 4 CAnon bodies i think.
If was at day one he'd do all Canons but he's not going to see his
Nikons now. Why? Beaches they are sublime cameras which he goes way back
which not clearly inferior to Canons and in some ways better and not
really comparing with Leicas. They are his cameras. Sell them all for
Canons? Who could do such a thing? Lots of people that's who but not me
and I guess not Felix. Its a combination of loving the cameras and
product loyalty. Canon is going to outclass the macro work I do with my
60 and 105? I don't think so. Leica maybe down the line but not Canon.
Felix will forgive me if I'm not 100% in tune with where his head and
heart are at with these things.

And Eric I'm not all that convinced that AF is useless for macro.
Say you're walking down the sidewalk with your 100 or 105 in hand
swinging next to you and you see a bug. You reach down and without
breaking stride you get that little bugger. (In sunlight).
Without AF you'd have to get your face in there and you wouldn't even
bother doing it.
Depending on the bug.

Or with your 200.

Mark Rabiner