Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Fwd: Re: LUG metallurgist
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:38:35 -0500

>I forget the model but I believe the use of Ti was to
>reduce the mass of the shutter and thus enable it to accelerate more
>rapidly.

Not only accelerate, but deccelerate as well. One of the biggest
areas of technological innovation has been in braking mechanisms for
shutters, both horizontal (Leica) and vertical. A lot of money is
spent in R&D in this area.

And perhaps to waste, since I think many DSLRs  use electronic
shutters (i.e., the sensor is the shutter). The outer
(metal/physical) shutters are just to protect the sensor and perhaps
to let it get a good darkfield  reading.

Karen

Message from khmiska <khmiska@umich.edu> (Re[2]: [Leica] Fwd: Re: LUG metallurgist)