Subject: Re: [Leica] MP's tp plate
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:49:49 -0700

Gary Williams wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Leica] MP's tp plate
>

> > The way things look verses the way they perform is an issue that has
> > gone by me a few times this month.
> >
> > An example in mind is the lenses for the Contax RTS and the whole
> > "Contax" SLR system's AF and otherwise.
> > All painted numbers. Zeiss glass made in Japan. Bad combination.
> > The lenses look like Vivitar's of decades gone by. They sure as hell
> > don't look like Hasselblad or Rolleiflex 600 x glass.
> > The glass are Zeiss designs which I'm sure are executed excellently. (An
> > excellent execution!)
>
> > Mark Rabiner
>
> I owned and used Contax SLR for over 20 years and the build quality of the
> lenses is outstanding, (and better than some of the new M glass I bought
> earlier this year).  Zeiss/Contax made a conscious decision to be a little
> more mass market than Leica and make the glass affordable to folks other
> than to the economic elite.  From an optical standpoint Contax lenses are
> equal or better than their Leica counterparts (often at a fraction of the
> cost) until the latest round of ASPH glass from Leica (Contax no longer
> designs new glass for the RTS system).  I got out of the Contax SLR system
> because of a bad back---those heavy lenses and bodies and their tremendous
> build quality were too much for me to carry any more.
>
> It's dilettantes like you that give Leica a bad name.  If you think
> engraving on a lens or a camera makes you a better shooter, well, I don't
> need to add anything to your comment for anybody to see what a goddamn fool
> you are.  And as they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted..."
>
> Gary

Gary I'm impressed you bravely made it though the high grass with pained
on numbers on your heavy lenses while i sat at home polishing my Asph
Hoya glass front elements with a gold plated Leica lens cleaning brush.

A hundred bucks here an hundred bucks there I'm not worried about it but
when I'm looking at shelling our thousands of dollars on glass i don't
want it or them to look like a cheap toy. I think it's a shame for Zeiss
to let this stuff go on.

And I'd be careful of who you call a dilettante (I try to be)it's
entirely possible that for every time you've clicked the shutter I've
shot a brick. I've printed hundreds of 20x24's to 16x20 fiber prints as
well as color. Many thousands of 11x14's and smaller. Empty and full
Photo paper boxes all over the place. The fat ones. Some from the 60's.
(Peace, Love, Woodstock!)
My website is below - client list to come.
Gary I notice you are a "Controller (finance & Information Technology)".
No idea what that means Gary, I'm a photographer and have been since
finishing college in 1975 having done a lot of darkroom work since 1965.
Devoted my live to photography.
Not fond of being called a dilettante by someone of questionable
photography experience or commitment. A website is really important in
these arguments. It's easy enought to know who your talking to.

Meier & Frank
Willamette Week
Dehen Knitting Co.
Mr. Formal
Nordstrom
Via Magazine, Seattle
Palmer-Plesh for Vogue
Zia McCabe - The Dandy Warhols
Clairol- Revlon- Perfect Look
Mademoiselle - Rosyln Carter -
The First lady of the United States
Gerber Advertising: Hanna
Oregon Art Institute
Microsoft
Tom Grant
Courtney  Love
King Broadcasting (KGW)
Casa U Betcha
Camerawork Gallery
The Metropolis Gallery
White Gallery
Luis La Bamba Gallery
Camerawork Gallery
Portland Opera
Shadow Gallery
Tektronix: Michael Cacy
AT&T - Cellular One
McCann Erickson Advertising
Jantzen Swimwear
Cole & Weber Advertising: Mark Norrander
Six Flags over Mid America, St. Louis, MO.
Firehouse Theater (City of Portland)

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com