Subject: Re: [Leica] MP's tp plate
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:04:14 -0700

Gary Williams wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Leica] MP's tp plate
>
> > Gary Williams wrote:
> >
> > > It's dilettantes like you that give Leica a bad name.
> >
> > Mark Rabiner a "dilettante"!???!!?!   ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!  This is the
> > funniest thing I've read on the LUG.... EVER!
>
> Anybody who thinks engraving on a camera is going to make him a better
> shooter is a photographic dilettante.  Period.
>
> Gary
>
> --

dilettante
1. A dabbler in an art or a field of knowledge. See Synonyms at amateur.
2. A lover of the fine arts; a connoisseur.

dilettante
Superficial; amateurish. [Italian, lover of the arts, from present
participle of dilettare, to delight, from Latin dTlectEre. See DELIGHT.]
—dil2et0tan1tish adj. —dil2et0tan1tism n.

Interesting how the second definition is quite positive. But we are
talking about the first one.

I wonder  how a distaste for painted on numbers on expensive lenses when
one is used to engraved numbers on expensive lenes makes one a
superficial dabbler?

I have been handed a Quaker Oats box and piece of Aluminum foil and a
pin to go and and bring back a shot. I did. None of the other folks in
the large art class did. But i figured it might be telling me something.
(maybe this is somthing I should do?!) Boy was i annoyed at the Quaker
oats box had painted on numbers!

I duck taped it to a tree. That was my tripod. And thats why my shot
worked out and the others did not. Duck tape.

Hand held quaker oats pin hole photography was not a reality in the
70's. We had to let the machines take over first.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] MP's tp plate)