Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V25 #113
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:46:09 -0700

Randy Jensen wrote:

> I would never bad-mouth them, I used to own an OM-4T.  The think I didn't
> like about them (I was working at a camera store at the time) is the fact
> that the rep knew NOTHING about the SLR line at all, but said the IS-1
> (first model in what is now the E20 digital) would totally REPLACE ALL SLR
> cameras.  It was so much better!
>
> They seemed to have forgotten their SLR system at least 15 years before it
> was finally officially discontinued.

> www.randyjensenphoto.com

I would never bad mouth an OM user who hadn't just told me that his Oly
glass is just as sharp and contrasty as so for chump change on as my
Leica glass I saved so hard to get. So many piggy banks so little time.
You'd expect me to have that opinion as here we are on the LUG and here
i am up to the gils with Leica equipment.You don't always get what you
pay for but I think in the case of Leica products you do nowadays
especially the glass. For a while we were the best rangefinder camera
money could buy. We were the only rangefinder camera money could buy.
Now there are many at different price points. They don't compete
directly in most cases.

Speaking of Oly glass (not beer bottles but it's close) I have a Pen FT
(black) and I thought with the smaller image circle around the 18x24
format I'd see some crisp looking mini negs. No go. Mush I say, Mush!
Mantani who designed both the Pen F single frame systems as well as the
revolutionary Oly system apparently was not in on the glass. If he was
glass was not his thing he would have stuck to cameras. Like Karen N.
here on the LUG I'll sometimes use an XA Clamshell in my free time which
is never, This may have been the camera which got me into Leica M as it
really is a mini Leica rangefinder and all. And yes I'm very fond of
vignetting with some fava beans and a nice chianti Every things so darn
sharp in the center!. Or it may have been my Rollei 35 which feels like
it came out of the center of a black hole in the universe. A little cube
weighing ten thousand pounds. It feels like its going to implode. You
can put it in a pocket. But then there goes your pocket and everything
else. After going out and getting something wooden coat hangers from the
black forests of anywhere there' still trees. I use nothing but wood
from the black forests of Brazil. You were about to say there are no
black forests in Brazil? Don't go there Lederhosen Dude or Dudess!

I can see how a Leica M user might consider going with the Oly system
for their SLR macro and longer tele and what the heck other lenses too.
Compact and quiet and innovative they are truly Leicalike. Some of these
lenses are quite amazing and not cheap. Mantanie deserves some
Lederhosen on his birthday except I've got a funny feeling he's dead.
Other arrangements can be made.

Same thing happened to Dvorak they made a monocle for him and
everything.
"I'll Czec with you Later" he replied Slavishly.

(Die Moldau comes up with the violins oops Dvorak didn't write that one.
It was Smetana.)
da da da da da daaa daaa daaa daaa daaaa.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com