Subject: Re: [Leica] 2003 photos birthing.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:14:54 -0700

lea offered:
> New series....I had earlier written that I was searching for a new
> subject on which to do a series. I found it! My sister and hubby are
> expecting their first child so I have begun monthly photos of her
> changing body. I will post the images as they come.<<<

Hi Lea,
Depending how far along to due date make sure it's arranged with the
"doctor" that you can be there from start to finish during the birthing and
don't wait until the last moment as it's a pretty good chance if you arrive
with her for delivery and do not have your paper work done, that by the time
someone says "OK!" it's all over. :-(

Or the nurses will keep you in a waiting area until it's over because most
people do pictures after the baby is born, cleaned-up and in swaddling
clothes.

Get the doc lined up and make sure he or she lets the nursing station know
you'll be there from start to finish as it's a very important point to have
in place.

One more bit and I do this everytime about a week before the due date, even
though I've shot about 203 birthing's over the years I do it even at the
General Hospital where I'm known by many of the nurses and docs. I go to the
nursing station with a letter for the Charge Nurse to have on file who I am,
which birthing mother I'll be with, the doctors name and his / her
permission has been OK'd.

That goes on the patients chart for all medical staff to see if any
questions arise.

If you have previous experience of shooting this situation I'd list that as
well. It makes a lot of people, nursing staff,  feel better when you arrive
and the mother is about to pop it right there on the floor and everyone is
running around in semi-panic. Well it kind of looks like that. ;-) But if
they have all the info before hand then everyone is cool and in the loop. It
makes a far easier time for... "the photographer!"

Trust me there are no family pictures of the head emerging!!! So save your
film, work from the mother's head end of the bed as that allows you to shoot
her, the husband doing the TLC thing and the med. crew doing their thing.
Makes far more dramatic pictures than a bloody head emerging.

Without question do it all in black & white! Colour just doesn't cut it!!
However these points may all be for not if you've had previous birthing
experience.
ted

Replies: Reply from "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] 2003 photos birthing.)
Message from "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] 2003 photos)