Subject: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - handled a D100 (and a 10D, and...)
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:30:07 -0700

My wife is "pressuring" me to get a DSLR (what a wife eh?) for certain
properties that digital posses. So we went to K&S to check out the cameras.
I warned her about how much bigger and heavier they are compared to the OM
and the M7. Since I am considering an E-1 when it comes out, we looked at
the E-20, the D100, the 10D, and just for fun, the 1Ds.

One overwhelming characteristic of the D100 is its filmsyness. We can
literally shake it and hear something sort of rattle. Not just the lens
either, but the body too. It definitely feels a toy. The E-20 is OK, but it
just feels a bit big for my hands. the 10D is the best. Also the D100 feels
it has a much "heavier" shutter than the 10D. The 1Ds of course is for the
super-human with Popeye's forearms.

The weight isn't too much of an issue. Especially comparing to the M7, the
plastic cameras feel probably lighter :-) The size and ergonomic though, is
just not there for me. The OM of course is lighter yet still feel solid.
Overall, it doesn't look good :-) I am getting very good results with my
OM/M7/slide/scanner combo. The major problem is the slower process time.

What I would like to have is a simple camera, with low shutter lag, and a
kick-ass lens. Yea, a digital M :-) Yes yes, I know a digital M is not
feasible right now, but I will take a simple digital M'ish camera that does
not take all M lens, but just one good zoom, or one good 35/50/90 combo (35
equiv.).

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>