Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time"
From: Steve LeHuray <steve@streetphoto.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:36:52 -0400

> Hi, Ted,
>
> Since you mention sports photographs, let me ask you, in most cases are you
> taking a few frames of an event, trying to capture the perfect moment?  Or are
> you simply following the action with your camera with your motor drive
> pounding
> out as many frames per second as possible?
>
> It seems that most sports PJ's are doing the latter, figuring that in a 10
> second 100 meter dash, they'll have at least one keeper (or more importantly,
> one to publish) out of 80 shots taken in that race.  If that's the way one
> photographs a sports event, then shutter lag isn't really an issue, is it?
>
> If you really are aiming at the "ultimate peak" in action, I wonder if you're
> in
> the minority among sports photographers.
>
> Or am I completely wrong here?
>
> cheers,
> frank

...well Frank, I do not know how you or Ted does sports action shots, the
way I use to do it 30 years ago was with two Nikon F bodies and two lenses,
a 50mm and a 200mm. No auto-focus, no motor drive, no program modes. Had
hundreds of photos like this published:

http://www.streetphoto.net/images/im130.jpg

Back when I took this picture of 15-time world champion Giacomo Agostini at
the Daytona 200 1974, sports photography was a craft that had to be learned.
You had to learn how to expose and learn manual focus. You had to learn how
to compose because you were not going to get many chances to make the shot.
It was a challenge compared to today's high-end, bloated point-'n-shoot
high-end Pro SLRs. I know that if I say that there has been a massive
'dumbing-down' of photographers in the last 30 years I will upset a lot of
people, but there, I said it anyway.

sl

sl

Replies: Reply from frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time")