Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time"
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:16:27 -0500

>Back when I took this picture of 15-time world champion Giacomo Agostini at
>the Daytona 200 1974, sports photography was a craft that had to be learned.
>You had to learn how to expose and learn manual focus. You had to learn how
>to compose because you were not going to get many chances to make the shot.
>It was a challenge compared to today's high-end, bloated point-'n-shoot
>high-end Pro SLRs. I know that if I say that there has been a massive
>'dumbing-down' of photographers in the last 30 years I will upset a lot of
>people, but there, I said it anyway.

Nice photo!  I agree with you. Most people these days think sports
photography is all about panning at 10FPS hoping you'll get one good
shot. I call it "shotgun photography."

That's the general attitude towards digital as well. Folks talk about
how they are shooting 300 frames a day now.

I'm going to go play with my 5x7" field camera now. I might get 0.001
frames per second if I work fast....

Karen

- --
Karen Nakamura