Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time"
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:58:17 -0500

Well that certainly tops the hood story...

                      Henning Wulff
                      <henningw@archiphoto.com>           To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time"
                      -alto.ca.us

                      08/07/2003 03:18 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

At 8:26 AM -0700 8/7/03, Ted Grant wrote:
>Gene offered:
>>  While at the Brickyard 400 last weekend, I noticed all these people
with
>>  their Nikon/Canon AF and Digital Motor Driven SLRS shooting with the
Lens
>>  Hoods turned around protecting/shading the Lens Bodies.  It would seem
no
>>  one has told them what the lens hood is for.  Maybe it is a status or
>>  fashion thing...<<<<
>
>Gene,
>Now that's a new one if ever. But then?
>
>>  I was shooting from the hill between turns 1 and 2, I  turned around to
>see
>>  this very cute young girl shooting away, I interrupted her and told her
>>  that she would probably get improved detail and less flair if the hood
was
>>  turned around and in the proper position - at first she just looked at
me
>>  funny and then remarked "Gee I guess you are right, thanks"  but then
she
>>  just went off with the hood in the same position, I must have seen 20
>people
>>  with the lens hood installed this way, shooting away.<<<
>
>Well like I said,  a half roll short of a full roll! ;-) Lots of them out
>there.
>ted

Some years ago at a tourist spot on a bright sunny day I saw a young
man taking pictures of his partner. He had the camera on a tripod,
and took some horizontals of the girl. Then he decided to take some
verticals, so he turned the camera 90 degrees.

Without loosening the tripod head.

Without removing the tripod.

Good thing there was lots of open space and no people to his side.

Someone must have told him at some time that you'll get better shots
if you use a tripod at all times. :-)

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design