Subject: Re: [Leica] Anyone using Edwal FG-7 with Sod. Sulfite?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:25:40 -0700

Martin Howard wrote:

> Jack McLain wrote:
>
> > I've decided to give Edwal with Sod Sulfite a try (Tri-X and HP5) as an
> > alternatie to D76.  Any of you guys using this mix?  Do you use as a
> > one-shot? How many rolls/liter? Replenish?
>
> I've decided to do exactly the same.  I have the chemicals, but haven't
> found the time to run any films yet.  I intend to use it 1:15 with 9%
> sod. sulf. one shot, probably give it a whirl over the weekend.
>
> I've discovered, from lots of reading, that for Ilford films, this
> appears to be a universal developer.  Pretty much every Ilford film
> runs in this soup at 6.5 min at 20 C, rated at its nominal speed.  So
> you should be able to bunch FP-4+, HP-5+, Delta 100, Delta 400, and
> even Tri-X all into the same tank and run them at the same time.
>
> M.
>
> --

I believe you are able to use it with NO sulfite and that for sure would
be the way to do it.
A friend of mine went all over Africa and came home and fried all of his
his film in FG7 with an average amount of sulfite.

It eats away at the edges of your grain and also the grain will clump up
irregularly.
You want a tight regular grain patter. Not very noticeable. But there.

The sulfite will give you a loose irregular what i call "mushroom grain"
because it looks like mushroom patch.
You'll get LESS resolution. And you wont even get finer grain.

Use the sulfite to develop the negs off the Polaroid film and mix your
FG7 straight up. It will put hair on your chest.
If you need finer grain go to a slower film. And stick to a high
resolution low as possible solvent (sulfite) developer. Tab grain films
are also a way to get finer grain at the same ISO.

FG7 with very little to no sulfite on a high resolution developer which
will bring out most of the best of our Leica lenses.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com