Subject: [Leica] M2 questions, was Opinions regarding M2?
From: Ken Firestone <kenf@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:59:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Don Dory wrote:

<SNIP>

   Some will carp about loading an M2 or M3.  It is no trick.  First you
   jam the leader into the spool.  Then you pull out about seven sprockets
   of film and jam the whole assembly into the cameras bottom.  As you are
   reattaching the bottom plate make sure that the sprocket wheel is under
   the sprockets, close the back door and key the bottom plate down.  Easy
   stuff.

I have a couple of M2 questions, as an M2 owner.

First, loading with the rapid load spool kit. When I first got this
years ago I thought it was great. But after years of non use of the
camera I have forgotten the trick to doing it, and I can't find the
directions. Could someone post or mail me the directions? I am having
2 problems, the film doesn't catch, and when it does it won't release
on rewind.

Second, what is the difference in the finder between the original M2,
and the newer .72 finders on the M6-7 ? Now that I am older, I wear
varifocal eyeglasses, and I am having trouble seeing all of the
framelines in the viewfinder at 35mm. If I wind up with special
glasses for photography, do I want distant or near correction for
looking into the viewfinder?

Thanks.