Subject: [Leica] Fw: LC5 noise at 400 iso
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:51:33 -0500

 Peter Klein and I have been chatting offlist about an on topic issue,
(horrors!)  noise in the Lika Leica and Digilux at 400 iso.

 Peter said:  There was one other angle to the high ISO noise that I didn't
 post on the  LUG because I only heard about it from one person.  He said
 that the LCD display created bad noise in the image, and he got much better
 pictures  with the LCD off.  IF true, that could be a result of bad
 shielding design, or a QC problem with his particular camera.

 (Back to Sonny) So I set up my camera and took a couple shots of the same
location at ISO 400 with the LCD and without.  The file is quite a bit
better as regards noise with the LCD turned off.  I can see that some
software cleaning might make it better still.

Here's a section of the image, but it still is quite sizable,
 http://www.sonc.com/lcd_check.jpg

 so if you dialup use this link
 http://www.sonc.com/lcd_check_sm.jpg
 Regards,