Subject: Re: [Leica] digitalrebel
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 17:12:00 -0600

bdcolen in his ongoing desire to continually enlighten the rest of us
dimwits without B.D's "digital vision" wrote in part:

>Steve - You miss the point, and manage to be patronizing while missing
>it - as usual.;-)
>

>I have NOTHING against anyone being happy with what ever form of
>photographic equipment - from a Box Brownie to a gold-plated, ostrich
>skin-covered Leica MP meets their photographic needs. None what so ever.
>

>And I have never written anything suggesting that I do.

Now this explains it. Apparently you don't actually read what you write
before you post it to the list!

>I have also
>repeatedly stated that I am still primarily using film in my own work,
>and understand that some people are not only loath to give up film, but
>may never - more power to you, Steve.

Yes, repeatedly. Always in a post to the list where your major theme is
to denigrate all things Leica.

>And I was not comparing the results obtainable with the latest
>generation of M lenses - results which are, when all is said and done,
>beyond the power of 99.9 percent of hand-held shooter to obtain ;-) - to
>digital results. What I am saying here is that it is utterly ludicrous
>for those who are using 40-50-60 year-old flare-prone, poorly coated
>lenses that when they were new were not considered the best available
>and now don't even compare in image quality to the lenses SLR
>manufactures sell as part of cheap packages, to be knocking digital
>quality.

Huh? Nothing patronizing about this statement.

>Again, just say "I love film." If someone loves using an III C,, or III
>F with a Summabeenobsoletefor50years or an
>Elmarcouldntproduceasharpimageswhenitcameoutoftheboxfivedecadesago, more
>power to them. But it sounds pretty silly for them to be knocking
>digital and digital cameras that in terms of pure lens and image quality
>are generations ahead of the equipment they're using.

Ditto!