Subject: Re: [Leica] CV 35/2.5 pancake lens
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:20:29 +0200

It is not like I have to defend my lens choices, but anyway...I agree that
Leica lenses are best, obviously, and for my most frequently used M lenses I
stick to the latest Leica glass: 35mm Summiluix ASPH, 50mm Summilux, 90mm Apo
Summicron. But I also have the 35mm Color Skopar for those occasions when I
really want to travel light and will not need the big aperture of the Summilux.
I also have the 21mm Color Skopar. Here, I would certainly prefer the Leica 2.8
lens, but given that it is a rarely used focal length for me, I simply could
not justify the investment. Of course, I could have taken the purist approach
and bought some ancient Super Angulon or whatever, but I am certain that the
modern CV 21mm is a better lens than that (and still cheaper).

I agree that Leica has come out with some good innovations for the M line given
that it is a smallish company with limited resources. But I think that the real
innovator in rangefinder photography during the past few years has been Cosina.
We all benefit from this competition--directly if we buy the Voigtlander
lenses, and indirectly through the competitive spur this (hopefully) gives to
Leica.

Nathan