Subject: Re: [Leica] New photos/Arbus/Sontag
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:00:32 EDT

In a message dated 9/3/03 11:49:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Teresa299@aol.com writes:

>  And even though she is an experienced photographer Susan certainly has
been
>  around, casually and even intimately, with a few experienced, professional
>  photographers.
- -----------------------
Frankly, we can use more critics of photography in the media. I'm not so sure
we need writers who know too much about photography. I prefer outside
opinions because they're free of technical fears that might inhibit discussion about
Content.
I'd like writers free to talk about photography from the POV of the public.
At least represent the public at some level. And educate the public at another.
The Times runs articles by Vicki Goldberg [I hope I have her name right]. She
does an excellent job when the editors give her space. Most art reviewers
tackle photography. We need more of them. Particularly now, when digital is
looming with all sorts of effects. Critics can help us sort out what is essential
to photography and not get lost in the technical fireworks going on now. We are
just too close to the action to have perspective.

br