Subject: Re: [Leica] Film for B&W digital printing ?
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:34:08 -0700

On 2003-09-08 jerryleh@pacbell.net (Jerry Lehrer) thoughtfully wrote:

>As you may realize, I know nowt about digital scanning, but
>I would imagine that a silver image should be easier to scan
>than a dye and silver image such as Kodachrome.  Are scanners
>set up to primarily scan color negatives?  If so, then a B&W C41
>would be the film of choice.

Boy, I remember a discussion somewhere, perhaps here, that talked about grain
aliasing and the type of scanner being used - that the CCD scanners like the
SuperCoolScan 4000 from Nikon doesn't do as good a job on silver as it does on
the C41 dye processes.

I'm starting to beleive that although I've not gone to the trouble to find one
of the good Polaroid scanners. Well, now that I think of it I can't since I
think they are all SCSI and I no longer have a SCSI adaptor that works for any
of my computers, having shifted entirely to FireWire.

Is there someone out there who can address this? It might be relevant to Phong.

TCN400 scans really well for me. AND it has the advantage that scratch removal
software works just fine with it while it doesn't with silver films.

Adam

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Film for B&W digital printing ?)
Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Film for B&W digital printing ?)
Reply from Mike Durling <durling@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] Film for B&W digital printing ?)