Subject: Re: [Leica] Diane Arbus article NY Times
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:19:33 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/03 7:39:00 AM, jbcollier@shaw.ca writes:

<< Hitherto unpublished photos and the contact sheet from the boy with toy
grenade shoot are all I have had time to look at so far (those alone
are worth more than the cover price). I haven't had time to read the
article yet but it includes discussion of the current assertion that
she was just an opportunist. >>
One of the points the article makes is that Arbus reacted against the fashion
work she and her husband were doing. She wanted to find authenticity in her
subjects. She discovered that folks who were battling abnormal physical
differences between themselves and the rest of humanity didn't put up artificial
facades of ego and class.

She did her own printing and abhorred cropping. She was a purist in that
sense. She was an activist photographer. She didn't wait around until a subject
turned up. She chose and followed subjects to where they lived. That takes
chutzpah and energy and single-mindedness and courage. I wonder how long someone
can do that and not reach a point of exhaustion. She may have overinvested her
life in seeking her objective of uncompromising reality through the camera.

Note: The article makes clear that she was a first rate hand artist who could
draw and paint very well indeed.
She chose photography because it was in line with her addiction to find the
core of personality in human beings.
Maybe this is high-flown rhetoric, but it seems to me that she was a
journalist on the beat of the soul. Is that an art? It's an open question.

br

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Diane Arbus article NY Times)