Subject: Re: [Leica] Diane Arbus article NY Times
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:27:13 -0700

afterswift@aol.com commented:

>>She didn't wait around until a subject turned up. She chose and followed
subjects to where they lived. That takes chutzpah and energy and
single-mindedness and courage. I wonder how long someone can do that and not
reach a point of exhaustion. She may have overinvested her life in seeking
her objective of uncompromising reality through the camera.<<<<

Do I understand you are saying she stands alone? If so, she isn't!

Just talk to me about how long you work on a project to the point of
exhaustion and we can go on for several days about any number of them during
the last half century!!  Not to forget there are many other photographers
who've done documentary work to the point of being "horizontal and
non-breathing through their dedication!!!"  And that my friend takes far
more than "chutzpah!"

>>She may have overinvested her life in seeking her objective of
uncompromising reality through the camera.<<<<

Oh stick it in your ear!
ted