Subject: Re: [Leica] new leica-M lens news
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 02:11:19 -0700

Steve Unsworth wrote:

> Jerry
>
> A f1.4 90mm would have close to zero depth of field wide open, especially
> close up. It's a question of focussing accuracy as anyone who's ever used a
> Nocti of a 75mm Summilux at f1/f1.4 will know.
>
> Steve

It would be the mother of all lenses. IT world have to be permanently
aimed at Paris or back at Berlin and hope for no earth tremors.
It would become part of the landscape or dirt-scape. The Guns of August
Tom Swift And His Giant Cannon
http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/youth/tomswift/TomSwiftAndHisGiantCannon/chap3.html

That's why they made it a 75. It would make the Noct look like an
enlarger lens.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

But a 2 would placate the 1.4 dudes who don't want it touched and also
please the others who don't value compactness and just want to blaze
away. I say it's a Leica it should fit in your pocket.

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] new leica-M lens news)