Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital shoved down our throats
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:57:36 -0700

On 2003-09-21 jplaurel@nwlink.com (Jim Laurel) thoughtfully wrote:

>But the fact is that, in a few years, I will have to be out there with that
>big load of electronic crap, even when field dispatches are not required.
>Film will be so insanely expensive that there will be no other practical
>way.  So, yes, digital is being shoved down my throat.  I realize that
>people like Tina and me, who photograph in remote places are exception
>cases, but this move to digital is going to make life in the field very
>difficult for us in coming years.  So if I seem a little bitter about it,
>that's why.

This is almost funny.

You're worried about a few years from now? Digital works NOW. To know this look
at what's being shot in the field for motion imaging. See much 16mm or super
16mm? Nope. See lots of digital video? You betcha. They are finding themselves
UNLEASHED. They can edit in the field. It's GREAT! It works. It's reliable.

You sound like an illustrator in the 1850s looking at Mathew Bradey's
photography of the American Civil War and saying you'd never do that because he
took wagon loads of stuff to make his images, photographed on glass plates
instead of a sketchpad and some pencils.

Well today's technology is the glass plate age of digital imaging. It's just
going to get better, use less power, store more. Already you can store your
digital images on highly reliable solid state memory wallets or on disk. They're
small and work well in the field. Power usage will go down. And digital
electronics are reliable after the initial failure rate (so don't buy something
brand new and cart it out to where you can't get it replaced - use it hard for
the first month, if it's okay then it'll be okay for quite a while.)

But I don't see anyone forcing photographers who aren't on immediate deadline to
use digital. People are choosing to use digital because it's easy and meets
their needs.

If you want to go to the salt mines nothing is keeping you from taking your view
camera or your medium format camera or your Leica or  your 1DS. You get to
choose.

Me, I'd take my M6s and a 1DS if I could afford it or a 10D. The digital camera
would inform me about taking better film images with the M. The M would inform
me about making images with the 1Ds. It's just another way to be creative. And
it would still all fit on the back of a camel.

Adam

Replies: Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Digital shoved down our throats)