Subject: Re: [Leica] Caffeine
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:58:19 -0400

I guess caffeine relates to Leicas and photography, as in "I need to stay
awake to watch the sunrise hit the tip of the Grand Teton" or - in
pre-digital olden times - "I gotta stay awake to get this printing done and
off to my editor."

Have never understood Starbucks' success, why customers would pay such
prices for a cup of coffee, many if not most of the flavors of which aren't
coffee at all. I love coffee. Buy mine in the bean at the Porto Rico coffee
store in Greenwich Village, NYC: 6 oz Italian roast Colombian bean, 6 oz
French roast Colombian bean and 4 oz French roast Mocha bean in each pound.
Thirty-five years ago, after I got out of the Navy, it took me almost a year
of experimenting to finalize on this blend.

Permit me to interrupt myself: the Navy. Six months after reporting on board
U.S.S. Intrepid, I found myself getting very jittery and jumpy, like Nellie
Forbush (South Pacific) but for a different reason. I couldn't hold my
eating utensils steady. Went to sick bay. First question from the doc: how
much coffee do you drink each day? I said, I don't know, a normal amount. He
then took me through the day: what do you do when you get up? go to the
wardroom for breakfast - how much coffee? maybe three cups - what do you do
then? if I've got the watch, go to the bridge or in-port to the
quarterdeck - do you have coffee? Doc, you know the quartermasters have a
coffee mess going 24 hours - how much do you drink? I dunno, 2 or 3 cups.

Well it turned out I was drinking 20-25 cups of coffee a day, every day. Doc
said why don't you just cut down a bit.

Seth            LaK 9

Replies: Reply from frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Caffeine)
Reply from "Jon" <jon.stanton@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] Caffeine)