Subject: RE: [Leica] M6 0.85 classic question
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:00:22 -0400

Although some dealers have tried to hype recent Leica cameras and lenses as
collectibles, the collector's market has not consistently supported most of those
claims. AFAIK, virtually nothing made by Leica since the 70s has been sought by large
numbers of collectors, as reflected by rising  (or at least stable) prices. Some of
the very few exceptions have been the recent MP-6 (Japan issue) which seems to have
at least doubled in price in a short time and is virtually unobtainable, and (dare I
mention it) the 35-70/2.8 R lens, and we know why that happened...

There are numerous other post-70s cameras and lenses that were made in small
quantities (consider the first 75/1.4 with separate shade), but it seems that few
collectors get excited about non-Wetzlar Leica goodies. Even the Wetzlar-looking M6J
is considerably less valuable now than when it was first issued in 1994.

I suspect it will take another generation of Leica enthusiasts to sort this all out.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] M6 0.85 classic question)