Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:[leica] Recent Airport Experience with Bulk film
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:14:08 -0700

Saganich, Christopher/Medical Physics has concerns: ?
>>Subject: [Leica] Re:[leica] Recent Airport Experience with Bulk film<<<<

Sorrry Christopher I've been flying way to long over the years all over the
world in and out of some of the damndest places with exposed and un-exposed
film ( 200 rolls or more at times) hand bag zapped checked a zillion times,
yep and rated at ASA 800 and have never ever had film effected any time. Let
alone some new digi gear recently acquired!

Actually not too long ago some 1600 went through before I remembered it was
in the bag and you know what?  Surprise not a mark! Yep maybe I was lucky,
however just a small point that hand bag zapping isn't the big bad evil some
folks believe it is!

As someone else posted "show us!" So please look at it this way.... "Show us
the proof and make us believers." I'm not much at book and theory stuff as
that's written by book people and not travelling people with actual
experience. I would appreciate proof from you any time you have a moment and
please leave the paranoia about hand checked film BS at home! Thanks.

So Chris old buddy over to you and make some of us beleievers. Not only
that, it will avoid some of the nervous nellie lads getting twitchy butts
about their gear the next time they travel. Thanks.

More Chris stuff:
> What I would do differently (for bulk loaders only):
> 1) Keep plastic canisters in my pockets since they won't register on the
metal detector.<<

hell son you must have really really big pockets to carry a couple hundred
rolls!

> 2)  Buy a bunch of Dx coded ASA 3200 bulk loading cans instead of generic
or worse, reused cans from the 1 hour photo store.  The inspectors will look
at your film and see it says ASA 3200, if your cans do not indicate the ASA
in some official looking way, your out of luck.<<<

Cool idea thanks for giving that one to the bad guys! idiot.

> As far as equipment is concerned no one will believe you that the X-Rays
will degrade electronics.<

Of coure they wont beleive you, they know better than some amateur traveller
.

> I also noticed at customs in the US that Non-Citizens had all their
luggage X-Rayed upon arrival.  All in all my gear was X-Rayed once out of a
possible 3 times.  Somewhat of a victory.<<<

Not worth commenting on as they did that in the USSR also!

> PS don't put any film or electronic equipment in your checked luggage.
All US airports have modified CAT scan units which will fog all film and
damage digital displays.<<<

Now that's hardly a new revelation as we've been talking about that on ths
list and others for the past few years since the big CAT units were being
installed. Actually KODAK put out an advisory about this very thing, 3? 4?
years ago. Not to forget most photo magazines carried articles about packing
film in checked baggage. Hello, where were you?

Thanks for the insight Chris and if I sound a bit ripping I am because it's
this kind of false paranoia about hand baggage that starts useless rumours
amoung good folks who don't travel very much.

Ted

PS: Actually you are the kind of photographer who pisses off the security
guys so the next photographer going through who has no worries and quite
prepared to waltz right along has everything checked so severely for no
reason other than, "here's one of those damn photographers lets roast him!"
Or her. Thanks a bunch! Have a nice next flight!

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Re:[leica] Recent Airport Experience with Bulk film)
Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Re:[leica] Recent Airport Experience with Bulk film)