Subject: Re: [Leica] watching...waiting/PICU alt
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:24:59 -0700

Steve Barbour wrote:

> > Ted, working on this and then hearing your comments, along with
> those
> > of Tina and Nathan,  was valuable ... I was too fixated on having
><Snip>

And now
for a different opinion...

This is a very good picture of often done well subject matter. Gripping:
doctors saving critically ill babies lives. It's hard to beat that.
You've got hard competition. Unless the nurse at the head of the bed is
really Superwomen. Then the scales balance in the other direction for everybody.

The way I'd see it as a kid is if the doctor didn't work out it'd  be
great to have Superwomen as a backup for obvious reasons (x ray vision
and laser surgery possible with heat vision).

Such is the side of pediatric medicine we don't often see and would not
often predict.

Sure the doctors are great but the Nurses 	ARE REALLY SUPERHEROS!

If i ran the perdiatric hospital I'd consider having all the doctors
dress in super heros' outfits because that's what they are in effect
anyway in the eyes of their patients.

For many adults it's the doctors white outfits which are the superhero
costumes as it's the doctors who are the superhero's again.. The masks
are white masks over their mouths. Superman has nothing over their white
clad super doctor who grasped their life out of the clutches of death at
the very last moment. They might as well be able to fly it wouldn't make
much difference.

Cropping makes for a  more intense and direct picture but leaving that
strange element of whimsey in there in the first place which you saw
makes for a picture which got MY attention and which I'd not forget for
a long time I don't think. A picture which exists on different levels.
But sometimes you don't need that. Like for a very small newspaper picture.
But your first instinct was to get that!
Or was it unpractical to get in close and exclude that element?
No 90's or 75's? at hand?

Mark Rabiner

If the nurse was really Mom as it now seems it would still be from her
standpoint reassuring having her super uniform under her gown.  And to a
kid of course not to a baby I'd think. It was the Mother then who felt
reassured by having a red super S on her chest. She wore it to get her
though the day.
There's something to be said for powerful underwear.

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] watching...waiting/PICU alt)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] watching...waiting)