Subject: Re: [Leica] to crop or not to crop
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:58:40 -0400

Liam,

My two cents worth. There are exactly two kinds of images....good ones and
bad ones. I can't wait to hear what bd has to say about "The purity of the
moment captured in the view finder." It's not an arguement which works for
me. All someone looking at one of your images knows about is the picture in
front of them. I doubt they either know or care what you saw in the view
finder. Sorry to be harsh.

I prefer to crop in the view finder when I can, and I prefer to avoid
cropping when possible. The reason is that cropping degrades the technical
quality of the image. You are, in effect. using a smaller negative and
enlarging it more. This, IMHO, gets to be a real issue real fast with
digital. Everyone has to "save" an image on the easel or in photoshop from
time, but I don't kid myself aout what I am doing when this happens. It
means that I was a step closer to failure than I really want to be.

Having said that there are times and circumstances when you just can't crop
in the viewfinder. Given a choice between no picture and one which was
cropped either on the physical or the virtual easel, I crop. I try to keep
the advice attributed to Robert Capra in mind. "If your pictures aren't
good enough you probably aren't close enough." That sometimes means
cropping.

Barney

But,  having said that