Subject: Re: [Leica] to crop or not to crop
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:10:55 -0700

Liam Maloney offered:
Subject: [Leica] to crop or not to crop

Hi Liam comments attached to each clip.

> I confess - I hate cropping my photos. In fact, I
> almost never do it.<<<<

An error usually learned too late by many who might have made a good
photographer.

>I know, I know, I'll never make it as a photographer if I don't crop - I
just don't like
> doing it.<<<<<

Yes and a pity you haven't learned to do so. You'd be a much better
photographer if you did so.

> I have this idea that cropping somehow takes
> away from the purity of the moment I captured in the
> viewfinder.<<<,

Wrong! It's a myth!

The purity of the moment may well be the uncropped negative, IF! ...   it's
the best photograph it can be captured. However in reality, about 90% of
negatives can be improved by cropping. Or even a higher ratio than 90%.
Some of us do print full frame because that's the absolute perfect captured
moment! A rare occasion no matter whom the photographer.

> More sensible people would look at my work
> and find a way to crop (and improve)every single image
> in my portfolio.<<<<

If you feel that way about your work why not crop and make them better
pictures before someone else shows you how it can be improved by cropping?
Or writing you off as a so-so photographer.

> But I argue that a good photographer learns to get better by printing full
frame.<<<

No arguement, it's very true! However, that doesn't mean you keep them! It's
merely a "test look at print for asssesment" in the learning process. And
cropping is the next step in the process of becoming a better photographer!
If the photograph requires it. Most do!

Whether you like it or not, cropping can be the most important part of
becoming a better photographer. Simply because a crop can take your picture
from being "oh well yeah, so?"
To making you like the best damn shooter in the world!

Which would you like to be?  Your call.
ted