Subject: Re: [Leica] New Subscriber, Introduction
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:08:19 -0800

Robert G. Stevens said:
> I would not consider Erwin Puts' review of the Nocton a "good review".  To
> quote the last sentence of Mr. Puts' review "The Nokton 1.2/35mm
Aspherical
> is a good performer at smaller apertures, but at the wider apertures, it
is
> just acceptable. "
> > I wouldn't be buying a fast lens that was only good at smaller
apertures.<<<

Hi Robert,
Of course! I can't imagine buying a fast lens, paying extra dollars for it
then not use it wide open because it cuts a mediocre image.

Basically my lens purchase requirements over the years have always been
because they are "fast first" and cut a very good film image wide open. In
use, not on the test bench as they never mean anything for me. It's all too
controlled usually with film and lock down conditions rarely if ever
experienced when shooting assignments as a photojournalist. 99.9999% hand
held!

The 35 1.2 has worked extremely well for me wide open and I wish I had it in
hand about a year ago considering the work I've been doing.. ;-)
ted