Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:09:07 -0500

At 07:17 AM 11/4/2003 +0100, Rob wrote:
>Well, some people are better at directing than others. And also, direction
>need not mean _overspecifying_ - but it could mean saying, why don't you all
>go over and sit in that doorway and play with the baby for a bit while I
>take some pictures.

Then I would not be documenting their lives.  I would be documenting my
idea of what their lives should be.

>The fact is we are all actors all the time, and a good photographer knows
>how to leverage that to get what he wants.

If this discussion were taking place over on the NPPA list,
photojournalists would be horrified at the suggestion that they direct
people in the photos.  Good photojournalists and documentary photographers
do not interfere in any way with what they are photographing.  I know my
very presence altars the situation.  That's why I try not to bring
attention to myself.  Eventually, they do go on with their lives as if I
were not there.  The families that I photograph are too busy trying to make
a living and care for their children to stop and act for a photographer.
Spontaneous moments like the father touching the baby's hand are exactly
that - spontaneous.  I don't believe that any photograph that has been
directed should be called a documentary photograph or photojournalism.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

http://www.pdiphotos.com