Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:34:00 -0800

ted said:
> > Sorry a little off track, but may help some to understand being
absolutely
> > invisible and silent is paramount to the success of being a good
> > photojournalist. Never to be seen nor intrude!<<<,

Robert Meier asked:
> Ted,
> > So you would agree that it makes a big difference how the picture is
taken?
> That it is important to not direct the subject and to not intrude on the
> scene?   That your final results are better because of all that?<<<

Hi Bob,
Yes, but it depends on what the end use is.  If I'm assigned to shoot for
advertising and or promotion where I'm using paid models I'll use direction
to some degree. But that maybe nothing more than , "stand over there in that
light by the window and do your thing." Their thing maybe whatever the end
product is.

I'll shoot in a photojournalistic manner in using available light to make it
look real time, but that wont make it a photojournalism photograph. It's
merely a style of being natural looking. It's like the picture of a pound of
butter that looks so real you can use it to butter your bread, but that
doesn't make it a photojournalism photograph.

>>That it is important to not direct the subject and to not intrude on the
> scene?   That your final results are better because of all that?<<<

Yes without question! When my assignment as a photojournalist is covering an
event happening, or a medical situation, the Prime Minister, or a
documentary on steel workers, I shoot what turns me on because that's why
I'm the photographer, seeing and capturing what excites me, not creating
something because I think I can make it better.  Because when I'm motivated
and saying to myself
" Jeeeessssuuus look at that!" any fiddling on my part isn't going to make
it one iota better!

If we are discussing real photojournalism coverage and not "adverting and
promotion " photography, then to interfere is paramount to cheating. Because
your job is to record the motivating moment that's all, period. And without
saying one single word.

Imagine if you will shooting doctors and nurses during an open heart
operation and you the photographer ask the surgeon to stand slightly to the
left for better composition or could he do his thing from the opposite side
of the table because it would look more natural.

I figure you'd be sitting out in the hall faster than you can spit! And I
know a couple of doctors who'd turn you into a patient before you could take
a breath. You shut up, search constantly for the light, action and those
subtle motivating things that make for interesting photographs because
that's your profession and that's what's expected of you.

And if I wanted to direct people I'd have gone into the movie business.

Hopefully this makes sense to some of you.

ted

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)
Message from robertmeier@usjet.net (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)