Subject: RE: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:44:45 -0500

At 09:15 AM 11/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>No, Gary, give up in the sense of thinking that the media - print or
>photo - can make any difference at all. I have long believed that
>documentary photography has VERY little impact on anything except other
>photographers.
>
>B. D.

You might be surprised what a difference photography can make.

For the last 20 years, I have used my photographs to put together a slide
show that either I or one of the other travelers take around to the 63
churches in our presbytery.  The photographs are also hanging year-round in
each of the churches. Each of those years we have raised between $52,000
and $57,000, a total of over $1 million, for our Dimes for Hunger campaign,
every penny of which has gone to hunger relief programs in our presbytery
and in Honduras and Guatemala.  I have photographed the differences that
the water projects, Heifer Projects, agricultural education, and medical
clinics have made in villages that we have helped.  The Meals on Wheels
program here certainly uses the $26,000 we give them every year to feed the
elderly and poor. Now, it could be that we would have raised the money
without the photographs, but I do know that most of the people who go on
the trips have told me that they asked to go after seeing the photographs.
I have taken over 200 people from the presbytery to Honduras and
Guatemala.  If I didn't think I was making a difference, I would retire
today.  I'm tired.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com