Subject: RE: [Leica] Journalism, altered photo's, and other ethical debates
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:25:17 -0700

> Tim,
>
> You dismiss any attempt at saying you can't do something, like directing a
> documentary picture, as politically correct or puritan fundamentalism.
>
> Bob

Bob - please read the posts so you understand what we were talking about.

we were very specifically discussing the situation where a photojournalist
has had an award taken away because they used - in the digital realm - what
are very traditional tools that have been used been the darkroom by
photojournalists for generations - and accepted as completely ethical.

Because there is now a fear that as everything is digital it's all "so easy
to do" (actually I don't quite know what the fear is) all of a sudden there
is a knee-jerk reaction against any kind of aesthetic adjustment at all to
the image.

Tina's link explained this very specific issue well.

The issue I raised of McCullin and Nachtwey dodging and burning the sky in a
photograph and then another photojournalist saying that was unacceptable
manipulation was what I was specifically referring to as the politically
correct or puritan fundamentalist photojournalistic "ethics" and was an
example of this knee-jerk idiocy - or as Pedro Meyer calls it - the fictions
of a "Code of Ethics" .

read the link Tina posted - it pretty much explains it - that's what we were
specifically talking about.

http://www.zonezero.com/editorial/octubre03/october.html

tim

PS - as for "directing" documentary photography - there's no real you can or
you can't - the fact is people do - it just depends what form of documentary
photography you are talking about... it's such a broad field (probably to
broad a field for the term to mean anything?). Mary Ellen Marks documentary
portraits? of course they are directed. But that was another thread

Replies: Reply from robertmeier@usjet.net (Re: [Leica] Journalism, altered photo's, and other ethical debates)