Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 45: Spanish hams
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:27:08 +0100

>Why do Europeans have such a mistaken notion?
>
>on 11/8/03 2:08 PM, Jerry Lehrer at jerryleh@pacbell.net wrote:
>
> Why do Europeans seem to have a better attitude and understanding of
> fine foods than Americans do?

Please Eric help me. I do not get it. Does it mean that Americans do
understand it or that Europeans are wrong about the American fine food
understanding? I'm a European who knows rather well the best restaurants in
Europe, mainly in France, and I have been rather disappointed about cook in
my trips to USA. Even in Le Cirque in NY I didn't find that food was so
fine. I had good food in New Orleans but nothing extraordinary.

I was once in a fast food site just to know about quality. I now know it.
Young people here in Europe is going more and more to these kind of places
but you know men are gregarious and the models which are copied are not
always the best.

Do not believe that "every" country in Europe has good food and cook. Italy,
France, Spain are among the best but other have not the same level however
some local dishes have a very good one. German cook, I think, is rather
strong. English food, the kingdom of everything rust, is nothing
extraordinary. Centro European countries have an average cook. I did found
Swedish restaurants good in fish. Belgium very good but they are close to
France. I do not know Greece.

And oriental restaurants are all over there...They are fin for my wife who
got some dental problems. Not a bone not a thorn you can swallow
everything...

But... to own a Leica (to be On Topic) or to be born in a country with a
very fine food does not mean you are a good photographer or to have
sophisticate culture. It merely helps to...

Felix

Taping with my only able hand...fortunately the right one.

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 45: Spanish hams)