Subject: Re: [Leica] Coffee Makers
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:26:48 -0800

Tina,

if you want a coffee maker that will produce from 2 to 12 cups at a time
with little or no fuss on your part, then there are several excellent coffee
makers on the market. You might choose a drip maker that brews the coffee
directly into an insulated carafe. Oster and Cuisinart are good brands at
the top of the list. As you know these require heating the water separately.

If, on the other hand you would like to make foamed milk, espresso,
cappuccino etc, look at Gaggia. they make  good machines starting at about
$150 and ending at about the price of a M7 with Noctilux. Other brands to
consider are Saeco and La Pavoni. They all keep the water at brewing
temperature and are ready for serving one cup at a time.
I have a Famosa, a semi pro model made in Solvang, CA by Salvatore, an ex
model and die maker. For backup and because I was made a Sicilian offer (one
I could not refuse) I have also a Saeco.
http://www.salvatore-espresso.com/

As for grinders, I would highly recommend a separate unit for many reasons,
the most important being that when the coffee maker bites the dust you will
still have the grinder (or vice versa). I have used a Rancilio burr grinder
for over 4 years and am very satisfied. It is the dosing type, each pull of
the lever delivers 7 grams of coffee from the hopper; just the right amount
for one cup of coffee. Here is one of many links on the grinder and coffee
machines.
http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/rancilio/rocky.htm

Best wishes,
Joe