Subject: Re: [Leica] some new snaps, a propos
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:29:41 -0800

On Nov 11, 2003, at 1:27 AM, Daniel Ridings wrote:

> That's a pretty stupid generalization. Give me one example of such a
> paper
> in Norway, Sweden, Finland or Denmark. The European press is much more
> than The Sun and Bildzeitung.

Remember when I quoted "All Generalizations are false? Get it?

> The reports I've been reading puts the US way down the ladder when it
> comes to freedom of the press. Perhaps such things are not condoned by
> the
> moral majority. :)

The U.S. is way ahead of the rest of the world in press freedom - in
concept. Libel laws in Britain, France and other countries are pitiful
excuses for democratic societies. They destroy freedom of the press.

The big problem in the U.S. is that commercial interests keep most of
the major publications from running risky stuff that the European Press
would be happy to run. But, if a publication would desire to run just
about anything but child porn, they are free to do so. Not so in
Europe. Offend the wrong official, and you go to jail. Have your
"license" to practice journalism revoked. In the US, it is
unconstitutional to license journalists. In fact in Israel, right now,
this very controversy is boiling over.

The moral majority has no say in the matter. Not only that, when was
the last time the moral majority was taken seriously? Some time back
about eight years ago? You folks in Europe need to actually read
something factual about the States some time, not some snob
Euro-centric writer who's never stepped foot in the Western Hemisphere.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still
putting on its shoes."
- -- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

Replies: Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> ([Leica] Freedom of the press? WAS (something else))
Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> ([Leica] Prison terms for US journalists was (something else))