Subject: RE: [Leica] Freedom of the press? WAS (something else)
From: Tarek Charara <tarek.charara@pix-that-stimulate.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:15:54 +0100

De B. D. Colen <bdcolen@earthlink.net>, le mercredi 12 novembre 2003 à 15:14 GMT :

>Go the the archives of this list for endlessly extensive discussions of
>this issue.

B. D., I've found nothing interesting in the archives. So I took the "bible" and looked it up:
It sez: Everyone has an exclusive and absolute right to his/her image and the usage thereof.[...] This right does not change in a public place.

This right to ones image vanishes in front of another fundamental right: the freedom of "expression" and "information".

So, if a reporter was prosecuted for photographing people in a public place, the usage of the pictures must have been defamatory...

Tarek

For those interested, the book is called:

"Photographier dans les lieux publics", La documentation Francaise, ISBN:2-11-003845-4
written by a lawyer, it's the bible for every photographer "shooting" in public places