Subject: Re: [Leica] Freedom of the press? WAS (something else)
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:53:07 -0800

On 2003-11-12 jbcollier@shaw.ca (John Collier) thoughtfully wrote:

>Strangely enough they are a well respected organization. As has been
>mentioned, a country's actions overseas can have an effect on the
>ratings. The US has mistakenly or otherwise killed a number of
>journalists this year which will go along way to making yourself
>unpopular with these chaps: me too for that matter.

Let me get this straight - they were in a WAR zone, got killed, and it's OUR
fault?

I don't think so. It's a hazard of the business. If I go into a war zone to
cover the story then I take the risk of getting killed. Should they have large
fountain pens attached to their helmets or something saying "Don't kill me, I'm
a journalist?"

I honor the reporters who have died trying to get a story. But I strongly resent
the idea that somehow they hold some right not to die while doing it. That's
just plain wrong. It's  your job and you take your chances.

People using ANY form electromagnetic radiators (cell phones, satellite phones,
radios, tv's, anything) that isn't accounted for are at risk in a modern
battlefield. You don't even have to be smart to know this. It was good sense to
warn that use of satellite phones when not accounted for could get you targeted,
maybe not shot but certainly investigated. Only someone not aquainted with the
real world would understand why this would be.

When you take risks you deal with the consequences. That link seems to be
forgotten.

Adam