Subject: Re[4]: [Leica] Off Topic - Was Speaking of Photography -Big scans
From: Sonny Carter <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:19:38 -0800

Hello Tim,

If the 1800 is as nice a machine as this, then it will be fine.  I've
used two other tabloid sized Microteks, and they just worked and
worked,  Between the two we probably have 35,000 scans.  The one that
I replaced has been in daily use for  about 4 years, and has been in
the shop once.  About a month ago it developed some problems, and we
decided to put it to pasture rather than repair it.

Either machine can do 8x10 trans.  The 1800 does it in a tray. The
9800 does it on the glass.  The 1800 has higher optical rez, but only a little
bit

Specs for the machines at:

http://www.microtekusa.com/sm9800xltma.html

http://www.microtekusa.com/as1800f.html

 I have had good service from them over the years, even when a machine was out of
warranty.  These are pricey scanners, and the 1800 comes close to the
9800 in price.  I need the tabloid size for my project. If you can get
away with the smaller flatbed, I'd say go for it.

By the way, this one came with Scanwizard, Genuine Fractels,
Silverfast AI and Photoshop Elements in the bundle, as well as usb and
firewire cables and a card for firewire.

Hope this helps

Sonny