Subject: Re: [Leica] Technika + 300mm lens
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:51:48 -0800

At 10:20 PM -0800 11/16/03, JCB wrote:
>300mm lenses are in #3 shutters. #3 shutters push the Technika to
>the limit. You lose most front movements because the shutter is so
>big. The track must be racked way out in order to focus near or at
>infinity. It is a heavy shutter/lens assembly for that poor little
>track hanging way out there. Especially a 300mm lens that will cover
>8x10. A monster and a half!
>
>The voice of experience...
>
>JB
>

>At 10:29 PM 11/16/2003 -0500, Phong wrote:
>
>>Hello Felix,
>>
>>I too have been using a Linhof Technika (Master) for
>>the past six or seven years.  It is a darling of
>>a camera, with very precise movements;  I use with a
>>90mm, 150mm and 210mm.  I have been thinking of adding
>>a 300mm which will also serve for my future 8x10.
>>
>>- Phong

If you're going to take the camera away from the studio (and why else
have a Technika?), get a Fujinon 300/8.5 C lens. A #1 shutter, and
380mm of coverage; some, if not a lot of movement possible on 8x10. A
_lot_ lighter than the 300/5.6 lenses, and only slightly over a stop
slower. A very nice performer, too! Fuji even has a 450/12.5 C lens
with 486mm of coverage in a #1 shutter, but I haven't tried that one.
It would really require a monorail in any case.

Coverage is very consistent with the 300 C lens; a lot more even than
with the various lenses similar to the Fujinon A or Nikkor M series.
The Fujinon A series is advertised at 70°, but I find them
unsatisfactory past 50°.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design