Subject: Re: [Leica] XXX of the YYY? WAS (something else) (fwd)
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:06:20 -0800

What is applingly lacking is a willingness for people on both sides of
this issue to understand:

1) There is no right to privacy in the Consittution

2) The press needs to act with taste and restrict such coverage to one
TV and one still camera and pool the images.

The pubic has a legitimate desire to share in the grief of the family.
If the individual family objects to coverage of the private funeral,
that's fine. But if there is a military honor guard, they are
forgetting that respectful coverage can play a role in honoring their
loved one.

Normally, most things can be done so both sides are satisfied. They
need to talk ahead of time and honor both side's wishes. (The military
that is.) In my professional experience, there are plenty of families
that are willing to let the press be there as long as they don't get in
people's faces. It's Bush that has denied the press and the families
their right to choose. For political reasons.

On Nov 16, 2003, at 4:25 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

> Sorry,  BD.  You are attemptng to demand access into a family's most
> personal moments, and your aggressiveness might speak well for your
> initiative but it shows an appalling lack of knowledge of the right to
> privacy and to the simple decorum demanded of all citizens in this
> Great
> Republic.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Never miss a good chance to shut up.  - Will Rogers.

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net> (RE: [Leica] XXX of the YYY? WAS (something else) (fwd))