Subject: RE: [Leica] The Right To Privacy
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:05:34 -0500

At 10:09 PM 11/17/03 -0700, Tim Atherton wrote:
>Surely the American (and British) people also have a right to honour these
>men and women, who have paid such a high cost on their behalf. For their
>deaths to become merely a daily statistic - a number, just press release  -
>from CENTCOM:
>
>"
>November 17, 2003
>Release Number: 03-11-23C
>
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
>ONE SOLDIER KILLED IN IED ATTACK
>
>TIKRIT, Iraq – One 4th Infantry Division soldier was killed when a convoy
>struck an improvised explosive device south of Balad at about 7:50 a.m. on
>November 17.
>
>The soldier’s name is being withheld pending next-of-kin notification.
>
>The incident is under investigation."
>
> - surely that is a dishonour. Hiding the arrival of flag draped, honoured
>coffins at Dover really is just that - hiding it. Turning that soldier into
>a daily statistic both devalues their sacrifice and withholds from the
>American people a small but basic and important visceral sense of what the
>real, human cost of all this is.
>
>Again, I would add, that as far as I know, all the British troops killed in
>action have been buried with full military honours, in quite public
>ceremonies. Of the 9 I personally know something of the details, this was
>wish of the families.
=========================

Tim

My comments are entirely directed at the US polity.  I have few public
comments to make on how things are done in -- what was that line of one of
your Prime Ministers, Nevil Chamberlain, was it? -- "distant lands about
which we know little".  (Though I happen to know a British major serving in
Iraq as I write this, and I suspect that I know at least two others who
might be there, though I do not know.)

However, no, the death of a soldier does not make his death a public event
subject to a feeding frenzy on the part of the press.

And the intention of the press in photographing these dead dudes is not to
"honor" them but to make a cheap political statement by photographing their
interment.  Shame on the photographers and journalists who would do so!

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (RE: [Leica] The Right To Privacy)